Sunday, October 18, 2009

welcome google docs

In search of a good open source solution to my file compatibility woes, I finally settled on google documents. My .docx files created on my windows machine had a hard time opening in mac. When I converted all of the files to the older .doc files, I lost much of the equations converting and much of the formating of the original documents. Plus, it was going to be really hard to keep up with edits and uploads to the mighiganmath.org website.

Google docs seems like a good solution.

Pros:
  1. all documents will open in multiple platforms.
  2. No longer to upload new files every time there is a revision... I can just make the revision in google and the link on the website works instantly with the new version.
  3. Equation editor saves space by using html. Although it is more basic than all the options ms word has to offer, it is more than enough for an algebra 1 or 2 book.
  4. I can open the document at times for external editing if I choose.
Cons:
  1. documents can only be no more than 2MB with images... 500k of text. (this may be a hidden pro because it will force the documents to be succinct and more easily accomplished in one class period)
  2. I have had formating issues when i have exported google docs to ms word in the past. Things get shuffled around.
  3. I'm a control freak and the google docs are not in my control... Ie what if something happens to google docs and all of my files are lost, misplaced, corrupted, etc... Of course they will be backed up, but see con #2 for my concern there.
Overall, it is the best of my choices. Microsoft and apple cant seem to make a word that talks to each other smoothly in both platforms (is suspect that this is some type of super corporate wars for market share profits... or something like that). So my open source options LaTex, a wiki or google docs. LaTex is much more powerful and solves the compatibility issue, but requires editor to know a difficult markup language (making it impossible to be edited by non-computer oriented people). Also LaTex doesn't solve the online editing option. A wiki would solve the online editing problem, but for use in the classroom, many teachers will want to print out the investigations and make copies for the class. In my experience, the formating of wikis doesnt always turn out the way you want it when you print. Plus, there is the hassle of finding a "free" wiki that allows for member access by login. Google documents doesn't have this either, but at least I can control "when" the document can be edited.

So google docs it is... for now....


No comments:

Post a Comment